TVOKids partnered with the Literacy and Numeracy Secretariat to provide these parent guides for math, and reading and writing with your child. The guides are to help parents support the learning of children between kindergarten and grade 6. The Secretariat realizes the growing importance that digital media is playing in a child’s life and welcomed the addition of TVOkids digital learning resources to enhance the activities in the guide and to support the learning expectations in the Ontario curriculum.
- A parent's guide to reading and writing with your child. This guide can help your child learn to read or improve their reading skills.
- A parent's guide to doing math with your child. This guide can help you help your child with all aspects of the math curriculum.
Here are some games used in the guides to enhance your child's learning:
Reading and Writing Games Ages 2-5:
- Letterella (Beginner Level) Kids learn the different letter sounds of the alphabet.
- Magic Mailbox ABC's Kids learn letter recognition.
- Sign Match Kids learn about environmental print by matching signs they see around them.
- Out of Order Kids gain an understanding of what they read by putting story pictures in order.
- Gisèle's Big Backyard Book Club Kids learn to appreciate stories as they listen to some great books.
- Alphabet Goop Kids learn all about the beginning sounds of familiar words.
Reading and Writing Games Ages 11 and Under:
- Viking Word Hunt Kids learn how to spell familiar words.
- Bump-A-Word Kids learn how to use describing words in their writing.
- Big Escape Kids learn about nouns, verbs and adjectives.
- The Amazing Spelling Fleas Kids have fun with grammar, spelling and reading comprehension.
- Reading Round-Up Kids learn how to spell unfamiliar words with this word search game.
- Tumbletown Reads Book Club Kids can read book reviews written by other kids.
Mathematics Games Kindergarten to Grade 3:
- Caterpillar Count Kids learn to recognize numbers and count.
- Connect the Dots with Artt Kids learn about counting.
- Clock Talk Kids learn about telling time and measurement.
- Shapeville Kids learn shapes.
- A Lotta Dessert Kids learn about patterns.
- Sort It Kids learn about sorting.
Mathematics Games Grade 4 to Grade 6
- Tumbleweed's Math Maze Kids learn addition and subtraction.
- Big Wig Sub Shop Kids learn how to add and subtract with number combinations.
- Tumbletown Mathletics Kids learn fractions.
- Flower Frenzy Kids learn patterning and algebra
- Triangle Alley Kids learn geometry and spatial sense.
- Space Trek Galaxy Kids learn probability.