The TVOParents Book Club explores the vast world of children's books. Our experts and authors bring new and inspiring ideas for reading.
Here are the book club discussions we've had:
- Preschool Books What books do preschoolers love?
- Holiday Books Some favourite books to read over the winter holidays.
- Families How the role of the family is changing in children's literature.
- Scary Books Why do kids like scary books?
- Heroes and Villains The good guys versus the bad guys in kids' books.
- The Importance of Anti-Bullying Books How can books empower the bullied and enlighten the bullies?
- Why Rhyme Works Why do rhyming kids' books stand the test of time?
- Kids and Fairy Tales Why does the magic of fairy tales live on and on?
- Non-Fiction Books for Kids Books for kids about real people, places and things.
- Books in First Languages The importance of reading to children in their home languages.
- Picture Books We look at the art behind the words and why it's so important.
- Kids and Graphic Novels Do graphic novels lead to "real" reading? Are they “real” books?
- What Book Should Every Kid Read? You suggested them- what did our experts think of them?
- Books to Cope with Change Books to help kids through life's bumps.
- Great Kids' Books What do the classics have in common? What are the new classics?
- Books on History & Geography We all come from somewhere, so can books help kids feel like they belong?
- Books on Math & Science There's beauty, magic, and wonder in them if you look.
- Books for the Budding Activist For kids who want change.
- Hooking a Reluctant Reader Books that will win over even the most book-allergic child.
- Special Books for Special People For children with disabilities and special needs.
Go to Gisèle's Big Backyard Book Club for more preschool books.