The TVOParents Book Club explores the vast world of children's books. Our experts and authors bring new and inspiring ideas for reading.
Here are the book club discussions we've had:
- Preschool Books What books do preschoolers love?
- Holiday Books Some favourite books to read over the winter holidays.
- Families How the role of the family is changing in children's literature.
- Scary Books Why do kids like scary books?
- Heroes and Villains The good guys versus the bad guys in kids' books.
- The Importance of Anti-Bullying Books How can books empower the bullied and enlighten the bullies?
- Why Rhyme Works Why do rhyming kids' books stand the test of time?
- Kids and Fairy Tales Why does the magic of fairy tales live on and on?
- Non-Fiction Books for Kids Books for kids about real people, places and things.
- Books in First Languages The importance of reading to children in their home languages.
- Picture Books We look at the art behind the words and why it's so important.
- Kids and Graphic Novels Do graphic novels lead to "real" reading? Are they “real” books?
- What Book Should Every Kid Read? Our book contest gathered many titles from you - what did our experts think of them?
- Books to Cope with Change Books to help kids through life's bumps, from a new school, a new sibling, to divorce.
- Great Kids' Books What do the classics have in common? What are the new classics?
- Books on History & Geography We all come from somewhere, so can books help kids feel like they belong?
- Books on Math & Science Our panel makes a convincing case that there's beauty, magic, and wonder in them if you look.
- Books for the Budding Activist If you have a child who wants to change everything from their backyard to the whole world.
- Hooking a Reluctant Reader Our panel suggests books that should win over even the most book-allergic child.
- Special Books for Special People For children with disabilities and special needs, very few books portray their world and experiences.
Go to Gisèle's Big Backyard Book Club for more preschool books.
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.