The message hasn't changed in a long time - a lot of kids suffer from mental health disorders, but only a fraction of them get help. We've collected our stories to help parents and teachers know more about how and why kids are suffering. One of the most prevalent mental health disorders in kids is anxiety - and a program born in Australian elementary schools shows that the earlier you can teach kids how to deal with it the better. Another prevalent problem is depression - about 1 in 10 kids suffer from it– how do parents recognize it? Or toxic levels of stress? We’ll help you figure out what to look for, and how to help.
Remember to bookmark this page-- we update it often!
- Childhood Depression: A Parent's Primer watch video »
- Toddler Mental Health watch more »
- How to Talk About Big Feelings read more »
- The Mental Health of At-Risk Kids watch more »
- Expert Tips for Parents on Child Mental Health watch more »
- Anxiety and Imagination watch video »
- How Racism Affects Mental Health watch video »
- Childhood Anxiety: Nipping it Early watch video »
- Toxic Stress and the Child's Brain watch video »
- Childhood Mental Illness: It's Not Just a Phase read more »
- Childhood Depression: How to Help read more »
- Valerie Pringle: Her Family's Story watch video »
- Families Share Their Stories watch video »
- Kids' Mental Health: "We're Not Doing What We Should" read more »
- Child Gender Identity watch video »
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder watch video »
- Eating Disorders and Our Children read more »
- Mental Health System is Failing Our Kids read more »
Other Good Reads from TVOParents
More of Everything You Wanted to Know About...
Resources to Help You and Your Family