We knew we had to tackle math and science. And "tackle" may be a biased word. Some people love math, it's true. But many students not only don't like math, they also think it's kind of cool to say, "I really don't get it." As one of our experts says, no one would dare say they "really don't get" reading. That implies something different.
However, math and science teach us about magic, wonder, and curiosity - about the nature of our world, and even other worlds. They push the edge of imagination - like art. Doesn't that make math and science more crucial than ever? And isn't that what the proponents of "21st century skills" are talking about? Creative and critical thinking?
So how can we help our kids find the art and passion in math and science?
To get started, here's a number trick you can do with your kids. You can also watch the TVOParents Book Club on math and science - our experts talk about really good kids' stories that can be a back door to learning math and science.
Remember to bookmark this page-- we update it often!
- Why Girls Don't Like Math watch video
- Math and Science games on TVOKids read more
- Read Any Good Math or Science Lately? read more
- Getting Kids Hooked on Science watch video
- Astronaut Julie Payette Talks Parenting, Science, and Kids watch video
- Eco Literacy and the Solar Inventors watch video
- The New Math watch video
- Math is Everywhere watch video
- The Ontario Science Curriculum read more
Cool things to know.
From trying out the number trick to finding resources to bring aboriginal culture into science class, to talking money, we have a range of articles for you.
While many of us here are math averse, we have plenty of opinions on why it's important...check out our blogs